5.21.2013

Thomas Struth: Paradise

Paradise 9




















The jungle pictures ...  present a kind of empty space: emptied to elicit a moment of stillness and internal dialogue. 
...
Actually, I don’t even see the images as depictions of nature. The theme may play a major part, but the undertone makes the music. It’s about the experience of time as well as a certain humility in dealing with things. It’s a metaphor for life and death.
...
It’s very important to me to relate my own cultural work to the achievements of other cultures. I try to constantly be in between spaces and to feel life’s breath–the rhythm of inhaling and exhaling, as in tai chi. Every day, I could think of thirty pictures that would have a spectacular effect, but it’s not about big ideas. Instead I’m trying to effectively unite the conscious and the unconscious of life and the time I live in and thereby create authentic pictures.

ArtForum, May, 2002
http://www.americansuburbx.com/2008/11/theory-thomas-struth-talks-about-his.html

No comments:

Post a Comment